Enhance®Fitness Arthritis Management
Treating Arthritis through Smiles, Fun and FriendshipsEnhance®Fitness is a proven community-based senior fitness and arthritis management program. Its purpose is to help older adults become more active, energized, and empowered for independent living.
EnhanceFitness has been nationally recognized by the US Centers for Disease Control, the US Department of Health and Human Services, the US Administration on Aging and the National Council on Aging.
It offers low-impact exercise classes that are safe and challenging for older adults of all fitness levels. Exercises focus on increasing cardiovascular endurance, strength, balance and flexibility - all of which can reduce arthritis symptoms.
Most importantly, EnhanceFitness is fun. Classes are held in a relaxed atmosphere that promotes smiles fun, laughter and friendships. Participants keep coming back and encouraging each other to stay healthy.
What you'll get through EnhanceFitness
- Certified instructor with special training to bring out your best
- Five-minute warm-up to get the blood flowing to the muscles
- 20-minute aerobic workout to get you moving, or a walking workout to lively music
- Five-minute cool-down
- 20-minute strength training workout with soft ankle or wrest weights
- 10-minute stretching workout to keep muscles flexible
- Multiple balance exercises
- Lots of opportunities to socialize and make new friends
- You'll feel welcome, whether you have arthritis or not
EnhanceFitness at the East Area Family Y
- Classes are free for YMCA members
- Classes run 2-3pm Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in the Group Exercise Studio
- For details, please contact Erin Coelho by e-mail
or at 637-2025, ext. 225
EnhanceFitness at the North Area Family Y
- For details, please contact Kelly Notman by e-mail or at 451-2562, ext. 214
Aquatic Arthritis Management
Moving activities in warm waterThe Aquatic Arthritis Management program helps relieve the pain and stiffness caused by arthritis and other conditions, while providing a fun, social opportunity.
Held in the shallow end of a warm pool, you'll get the support you need to increase your range of motion. You don't even have to know how to swim!
This class is also ideal if you have other motion-limiting conditions, such as gout, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, lupus, sclerderma, Raynaud's phenomenon, bursitis and tendonitis. Check with your physician prior to participation in this program.
The Aquatic Arthritis Management program is free for members, but registration is required.
To start, or for more information, call or stop by the front desk at either the East Area Family YMCA.
Members are not required to register at the North Area Family YMCA. Please see our Aquatic Exercise Schedule for dates and times.
Proven ResultsThe EnhanceFitness program is in place at 49 YMCAs across the country. Studies comparing participants to non-participants found that the program resulted in:
- 35% improvement in physical functioning
- 13% improvement in social functioning
- 53% improvement in depression symptoms
- Fewer hospitalizations
- $945 savings per year in health care costs